Selecting the right fire extinguisher size for your business needs is crucial to ensure the safety of your employees and customers. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the right fire extinguisher size.
Understanding Fire Extinguisher Classes
Before we delve into selecting the right size, let’s first take a quick look at the different classes of fire extinguishers. There are five classes of fire extinguishers, and each class is designed to extinguish a specific type of fire. These classes are:
- Class A: This class of fire extinguisher is designed to put out fires that involve ordinary combustibles such as wood, paper, or cloth.
- Class B: This type of extinguisher is designed to put out fires that involve flammable liquids such as gasoline or oil.
- Class C: This type of fire extinguisher is designed to put out fires that involve electrical equipment.
- Class D: This type of fire extinguisher is designed to put out fires that involve flammable metals such as magnesium or sodium.
- Class K: This type of fire extinguisher is designed to put out fires that involve cooking oils and fats commonly found in commercial kitchens.
Choosing the Right Size Fire Extinguisher
The size of the fire extinguisher you need depends on the size of the potential fire hazard in your business. As a general rule, the larger the potential fire hazard, the larger the fire extinguisher you will need.
The following table outlines the different fire extinguisher sizes and the size of the potential fire hazard they can handle:
|Fire Extinguisher Size
|Potential Fire Hazard Size
|Small fires up to 2.5 feet
|Small fires up to 3.75 feet
|Small fires up to 5 feet
|Small fires up to 7.5 feet
|Small fires up to 12.5 feet
It is important to note that these sizes are based on Class A fires. If your business involves other types of fires, such as Class B or Class K fires, you will need to select a fire extinguisher size accordingly.
Selecting the right size fire extinguisher for your business is crucial to ensure the safety of your employees and customers. Remember to consider the potential fire hazard size in your business when selecting the right size fire extinguisher. By understanding the different classes of fire extinguishers and the size options available, you can make an informed decision that will keep your business safe in the event of a fire emergency.
Contact ASAP Fire Protection now at 346-537-3473 or schedule online to schedule an appointment with our expert team. With our years of experience and dedication to safety, we’ll provide you with the peace of mind you need in case of a fire emergency.